As East Forsyth students enter their fourth quarter, the realization that the 2014-2015 school year is almost over becomes more real. The seniors are counting down the days until they officially graduate, for them, graduation means a stress free summer before going off to their dream schools.
But to have a stress-free summer, they need to be prepared on what is essential to bring to college. With the limited space that each dorm room has, and the even smaller closets, students have to face the choice of what is necessary to bring, and what can do without.
Mary Beth Johnson, (’14), a graduate of East Forsyth offered up some words of wisdom when talking about what she stacked her dorm room with. “ Its important to think about how you’re used to living. There are a lot of things that you use daily and you may not be consciously aware of how much you relied on them. I know I certainly wasn’t,” Johnson warns soon to be college students. When asked three items that she needs daily she said:
- A spork
- Hooks/Commands (for sweaters, towels and bags)
- Fans for when A/C is broken!
- Clothes for all seasons!
- Bedding / mattress topper
- Bins t/storage to go under your bed
- Bed risers (for added storage)
- Toiletries (Bring extra)
- Shower caddy
- Keurig (lots of colleges don’t allow hot plates so these are the way to go)
- Lamp for your desk
- A big desk calendar (it’s nice to have everything in front of you)
- Plates, silverware, pot, pan, cookie sheet (dinning hall food its old real quick. It’s nice to be able to cook your self something)
- Water bottle
- First aid kit
- Power strips
Ideas for decorating dorm rooms with college essentials can be found everywhere!